Wednesday 4 April 2012

Do it again Dummy! - it's hard to be a perfectionist.

Well having 'completed' my dummy book and done few critique sessions I have decided to undertake a bit a of a rewrite.

The process of making a picture book is very much like creating a dot to dot puzzle; you need to get just the right number of dots in the right pages so the overall image makes sense... the problem is it is all to easy to skip dots when you already know what the picture is supposed to be.

When choosing what each spread should contain I found I was focused far too much on trying to explain the plot, whereas a great deal of my story should be focussed around the main character. The end result was the events made sense but it was difficult to empathise or even like the main character so you didn't really buy into the whole thing.


So I have taken out a few pages, and rejiggered a few more...which gives me a whole bunch more work to do, but I think it will vastly improve the book overall. ( This is the new plan, blank pages are completely new pages, green post-it notes are major edits, yellow post-its are minor edits)

The moral of the story - get ideas into book format as soon as possible! flat plans are just not the same!

1 comment:

  1. its really useful to see your work as process and i realise how complicated it is to configure the pages, this goes some way to confirming this..well done

    ReplyDelete