Saturday 31 March 2012

The Timekeeper: Progress update

After several (3-4 I think) long and stressful weeks work, I have now completed a dummy book for 'The Timekeeper'. Below are a few more spreads (but not many as I do not want to give the whole story away). I have a rough printed copy, which is slightly smaller than my originally intended size for the book, however I quite like it! It is a bit squiffy in places, a home printer and binding with a single fold is not ideal - a little more research into book binding techniques is needed before I produce the book for Macmillans.

I have sent a copy to a writer/ editor friend of mine who will hopefully help me tighten up the text a little - I am definitely better with pictures! So again I will wait for his feedback before making my final book.

The next step is to develop several pages to finished quality. I am aiming to complete a minimum of 4 spreads, as I am aiming to enter this book for the Macmillan Prize 2012 (a competition run by Pan Macmillan to encourage new illustrators into the children's book industry). I have included below a completed cover design, which could count towards my 4 spreads, however I would ideally like to enter pages from the main narrative, rather than the ancillaries - cover, end papers, etc. 

I have included a spread with text to offer a bit of a flavour of how the final book will read...as you can see definitely a bit of Dr Seuss influence in there! It has been a very long time since I wrote any poetry...maybe in my angsty teen years, but it was great fun!







1 comment:

  1. this work has come on amazingly well since we last met..I'm seriously impressed both with the detailing and the overall ambition.

    ReplyDelete